Thursday, May 22, 2014

Red Quinoa Burger Patties

I now spend afternoons reading The 4-hour Work Week (by Timothy Ferriss), a book which I started reading 5 years ago. I know! That's a very long lapse! So, now I'm reading and digesting from scratch ...happily. I now truly understand what our teacher told us on our last day in YTT - one day, you might find yourself reading the same book you left years ago. And you'll be surprised how it can actually be more useful and applicable this time around!

Ironically, that book -- in my case -- is The 4-hour Work Week, something that's not related to Yoga at all! Haha :) And one of my favorite parts is when Timothy Ferriss stressed out how we must define good income. It must be based not just on its monetary value per se, but also on the amount of time we spent to earn it. A snippet:
Relative income uses two variables: the dollar and time, usually hours. The whole "per year" concept is arbitrary and makes it easy to trick yourself. Let's look at the real trade. Jane Doe makes $100,000 per year, $2,000 for each of 50 weeks per year, and works 80 hours per week. Jane Doe thus makes $25 per hour. John Doe makes $50,000 per year, $1,000 for each of 50 weeks per year, but works 10 hours per week and hence makes $100 per hour. In relative income, John is four times richer.

I re-read this topic sometimes when I get overwhelmed by how much I've given up in replacing my 8h/day IT work with 1h/week of yoga teaching. When I'm reminded that the latter's equivalent to more than an hour of sitting down, staring in front of the PC, programming stuff I won't be remembered for ...and that it's making me richer in TIME for the things I truly love -- like yoga, zumba (yep.), reading, writing, cooking, etc -- I convince myself that the decision is totally worth it. On 2nd thought, what I might have just given up is my way of buying luxuries (instantly, impulsively) ...like when I grab that venti almond latte just to wake myself up. Who needs that now when you have all the time in the world now to take power naps, too? :)


Sorry for such a long intro just to explain how I can insanely blog more than 2 posts a week now. Hahaha! Last Wednesday was crazier - I made a DIY, makeshift flash diffuser just so I can take these photos at night (clue - it involves a cellphone, and a paper towel ...something I learned from my former officemates. Haha). 


Answering a few FAQs first before we start.... 

What is quinoa? it's a type of grain packed with nutrients! More info here (I don't usually trust wikipedia... But this one looks legit. Haha). I actually never knew it existed, until Bev sent me a few cups through her brother, who happens to be my neighbor. Since then, I got hooked! 

Where can I buy quinoa? Healthy Options. They sell white, red, black, and mixed quinoa, for 500+ per 430g. It's pricey, apparently, but if you're using quinoa for burgers (like in this recipe), 1 pack goes a really long way - about 3 cups per pack, or more than 20 quinoa patties! If you know other sources of quinoa in metro manila, please let me know!


How do I cook quinoa? Cook it as how you cook rice - rinse then simmer with water, in 1:2 proportion (2 cups of water for every 1 cup of quinoa). I cook mine in a rice cooker for 20 minutes. You'll know it's cooked if -- like in the photo above -- it's fluffy when tossed, grains do not stick together, and there are tiny white rings curled around the grains.


2nd star of the burger - pinto beans. They're my favorite among other beans as they turn out creamy when cooked and mashed. To cook pinto beans - soak them overnight then boil for 1 hour. Combine mashed pinto beans with cooked quinoa, bread crumbs, eggs and some spices (full recipe at the end of this post).


What you might want to look out for though, is the amount of uric acid in this recipe. That's why I'm also working on a bean-less version, which I might post after we finish this batch. I'm also thinking of making a vegan (egg-less) version of this ...let's see! For now, I think this is a very healthy option for those who want to avoid red meat. :)


Red Quinoa Burger Patties



Ingredients:
1. 1 cup red quinoa
2. 2 cups water
3. 1/2 cup uncooked pinto beans, soaked overnight
4. 1 clove garlic, crushed
5. 1 medium red onion, minced
6. 3/4 cup bread crumbs
7. 1/2 tsp salt
8. 1/4 tsp cumin powder
9. 1 tbsp soy sauce
10. 1/2 tsp dried thyme
11. 3 medium eggs (or 2 large eggs)
12. crushed black pepper as desired
13. Dash of paprika (optional)
14. olive oil for pan frying

Instructions:
1. Simmer quinoa grains in 2 cups water for 20 minutes, or until quinoa is dry and fluffy.
2. Meanwhile, boil pinto beans for 30 minutes, and simmer for the another 30 minutes
3. Mash pinto beans, and combine with cooked quinoa in a bowl
4. Add in the bowl - garlic, onion, bread crumbs, salt, cumin powder, soy sauce, thyme, black pepper, paprika and eggs. Mix and mash everything well.
5. Mold into balls, then flatten into patties
6. Pan fry on olive oil, 3 minutes on each side (tip: cook a very small patty first - taste, and adjust salt as needed)

Makes 6-8 patties. Serve with your favorite bun and burger condiments! I like mine plainly topped with Sriracha, served with my favorite salad (usually lettuce salad with toasted sesame dressing!). Enjoy your patty! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment