Friday, June 6, 2014

Mango and Sticky Rice

I am not a fan of kakanin/filipino rice-based desserts, but Mango Sticky Rice is an exception. Well, this isn't really a filipino dessert (it's thai), but it really really satisfies my filipino taste! I constantly crave for this, that I always attempt to grab a dose at the thai booth of the weekend market. Sadly, this always gets sold out instantly. Finally I decided to make one at home ...and realized that this is actually so EASY to make!


But my version doesn't use the real sticky rice (malagkit) for one practical reason: We already have 4 types of rice here at home -- the regular everyday white rice, golden rice, long grain/basmati rice, and japanese rice -- and adding another type is just crazy, knowing I need just a handful for some impromptu dessert! So can you guess what rice I used? .....Japanese rice! Japanese rice is sticky enough, that's why it molds well when used in makis, remember? In fact I use japanese rice too for arroz caldo. Therefore using it for this dessert is just as perfect. :)


Lou said it is tummy filling, it has the just right amount of sweetness, it's SIMPLE BUT IT WORKS! -- he mocked Gordon Ramsay as he said the last description. :-|

Mango and Sticky Rice



Ingredients:
1. 1 cup cooked sticky rice (or Japanese Rice)
2. 1 tsp sugar
3. 1/4 cup coconut cream
4. 1 mango, sliced in wedges
5. (optional) sesame seeds for sprinkling
6. (optional) crisped rice/pinipig for sprinkling

Instructions:
1. In a bowl, combine rice, sugar and 1 tbsp of coconut cream. Mix well, then mold in a cup.
2. Put the molded rice mixture on the center of the plate, then drizzle over it the rest of the coconut cream
3. Arrange the mango wedges on the plate, around the rice
4. optional - sprinkle with sesame seeds and pinipig.

Makes 1 serving. But share it with your loved one! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment