------
Months ago, after giving a flow yoga session to my husband's team, one of his colleagues approached me and talked about how balance and core strength in yoga can be incorporated in SURFING, and how -- maybe -- I can help their surfing club. That got me really interested because I'm always drawn to yoga with a specific intention. I was a teacher in crossroads then (up till now), I had to try all teaching possibilities!
Few months later, I found myself in Zambales, taking Crystal Beach Resort's surfing lessons ...which was mandatory for me. Of course -- I had to try surfing to understand how yoga can help surfers! duh, Leda. I watched the angry waves with fear and pressure. And with a poker face. All I told myself that time was, "f*ck... these surfers shouldn't see their yoga teacher FAIL. Or they might not believe in yoga at all!" HAHAHA!

On the 4th attempt (and onwards) - I did it! I was able to stand and balance almost all the way to the shore! Not sure though what kept me trying - the patience on the mat? Or the ego-full self who didn't want to fail in front of other people? HAHAHA. Without any source of determination, I would have quit on the 3rd try! Because -- seriously -- falling out of board, after minutes of paddling painstakingly, can get really REALLY frustrating.

The next day, I finally gave the flow session, which I prepared just the night before. The class focused on deep breathing, core strength (more planks and push ups), and balance (more balance poses, like tree). I hoped deep down that at least a tinge beyond asana (postures) mattered to them ...because my surfing experience taught me that balance and core strength are probably just one fifth of what yoga can offer to surfing.

I also learned that:
1 - The practice of deep breathing can also help you relax and hold your breath longer underwater, when the strong current stops you from floating immediately after a fall (it happens!). This is an important survival skill in surfing, seriously.
2 - The ride doesn't start until you exhale and LET GO of how your stance must look like, pretty much like how you become stable in a standing pose once you BREATHE and root your foot/feet well on the mat.
3 - Poses for core strength doesn't just teach core strength, as the presence in such poses also allows you to gauge your physical and mental capacity. That self awareness gives you more determination and patience to work on that area you lack (whether through yoga, or more surf time, or something else) ...rather than to try surfing in one GO ...then get frustrated by just one failure.
4 - Surfing is also an individual practice -- like yoga -- where you must not care of how people think about how the newbie you fail or succeed. Surfing itself is complex enough to keep your focus within your own practice. Everyone is as busy as you are, so no one really cares about you ...but yourself and your trainer! Haha. :P
Having shared all these, I am truly grateful for HP Surf Shack for introducing me to SURFING, a new love where I learned more than I could teach. I hope we can all practice again, soon -- both on the mat and ON THE BOARD! Thank you, Namaste. :)
-----
Just a quick answer to the common question I've been getting from friends lately, "Where do you teach now?" -- I'm not teaching in a studio currently. I teach small private classes in homes and offices. If you wish to have a private class with me, just let me know: contact@louandleda.com :)

On the 4th attempt (and onwards) - I did it! I was able to stand and balance almost all the way to the shore! Not sure though what kept me trying - the patience on the mat? Or the ego-full self who didn't want to fail in front of other people? HAHAHA. Without any source of determination, I would have quit on the 3rd try! Because -- seriously -- falling out of board, after minutes of paddling painstakingly, can get really REALLY frustrating.
The next day, I finally gave the flow session, which I prepared just the night before. The class focused on deep breathing, core strength (more planks and push ups), and balance (more balance poses, like tree). I hoped deep down that at least a tinge beyond asana (postures) mattered to them ...because my surfing experience taught me that balance and core strength are probably just one fifth of what yoga can offer to surfing.

I also learned that:
1 - The practice of deep breathing can also help you relax and hold your breath longer underwater, when the strong current stops you from floating immediately after a fall (it happens!). This is an important survival skill in surfing, seriously.
2 - The ride doesn't start until you exhale and LET GO of how your stance must look like, pretty much like how you become stable in a standing pose once you BREATHE and root your foot/feet well on the mat.
3 - Poses for core strength doesn't just teach core strength, as the presence in such poses also allows you to gauge your physical and mental capacity. That self awareness gives you more determination and patience to work on that area you lack (whether through yoga, or more surf time, or something else) ...rather than to try surfing in one GO ...then get frustrated by just one failure.
4 - Surfing is also an individual practice -- like yoga -- where you must not care of how people think about how the newbie you fail or succeed. Surfing itself is complex enough to keep your focus within your own practice. Everyone is as busy as you are, so no one really cares about you ...but yourself and your trainer! Haha. :P
Having shared all these, I am truly grateful for HP Surf Shack for introducing me to SURFING, a new love where I learned more than I could teach. I hope we can all practice again, soon -- both on the mat and ON THE BOARD! Thank you, Namaste. :)
-----
Just a quick answer to the common question I've been getting from friends lately, "Where do you teach now?" -- I'm not teaching in a studio currently. I teach small private classes in homes and offices. If you wish to have a private class with me, just let me know: contact@louandleda.com :)
Good combo = Beach + Yoga!!
ReplyDelete