Thursday, September 26, 2013

Yoga unfolds

I can still clearly remember that car ride with Lou, a few days before our Immersion. I had messed up, crazy thoughts: "You know, this is really great, one day I'll just happily leave programming and be a yoga teacher instead! It's like I'm gonna get paid to exercise!" ... (5 mins later) "I might be a lousy teacher, but you know (sour graping...) my tuition's still gonna be worth it - if I learn to teach myself and practice everyday, and if I get to teach you as well at least 3x a week, that means... (computes...) ROI in less than 3 years!!!" ... (5 mins later) "If this doesn't work out in the end... at least I TRIED, right? Which isn't really wrong coz we're young, we have money and we don't have kids anyway...".

Finally, Lou stopped me by saying, "Hey, why don't you just stop thinking too much about the future? Just study what you're supposed to study NOW, and just watch everything UNFOLD naturally.".

And so I did. Fast forward to today - I just finished my 3rd (free) yoga class in the company and bid my temporary goodbye to my students as their instructor. Because starting today, I need to focus on my immersion project, which will start next next friday. It is a 3-week long project, which I've been designing down to the nitty-gritty because -- apart from the scary thought of having my teacher and mentor there to observe me (HAHA!) -- I really want to extend it into a well-planned, sustainable project - something I can do for the next 2 years at least. (more details later!)

I have also happily settled with a venue, which will be my morning 'studio' as long as we live in the metro -- and it's no other than.... our condominium's function hall! No, I'm not talking about a room for my own practice... I'm talking about a formal venue for me to teach a class of 20! Thanks to Lou - it's normally being rented for a minimum of 3 hours, but he was able to haggle with the admin so that I (as a building resident) can have a special hourly rate!

While I am excited with the thought of how can I make all of these into an income-generating thing later on, and how that foresight gets clearer and clearer everyday, I really am keeping myself grounded, so I can hone my teaching and my own practice first rather than to earn from them. I always hang on to that line, "watch everything unfold". And I always keep in mind, that watching everything unfold gradually is a lot more exciting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment